Penne with Asparagus & Lemon Cream Sauce
Strike while the asparagus is fresh—it's loaded with nutrients, and gives this quick pasta the very taste of spring.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch diagonal pieces
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch diagonal pieces
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 12 ounces penne
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and browned in places, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk ricotta and lemon zest in a large bowl. Cook penne until just tender, about 10 minutes. Measure out 1/4 cup of the pasta-cooking water; stir into ricotta mixture until creamy. Drain the penne and mix into the ricotta mixture; toss to coat. Add the vegetables and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, garnished with basil.
Per serving: 285 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Fiber (17% dv), Iron (15% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mother's Day