Penne with Asparagus & Lemon Cream Sauce
Strike while the asparagus is fresh—it's loaded with nutrients, and gives this quick pasta the very taste of spring.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch diagonal pieces
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch diagonal pieces
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 12 ounces penne
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and browned in places, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk ricotta and lemon zest in a large bowl. Cook penne until just tender, about 10 minutes. Measure out 1/4 cup of the pasta-cooking water; stir into ricotta mixture until creamy. Drain the penne and mix into the ricotta mixture; toss to coat. Add the vegetables and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, garnished with basil.
Per serving: 285 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Fiber (17% dv), Iron (15% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mother's Day