Penne with Artichoke Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Fresh artichokes, some white wine, a touch of garlic and pasta make a straightforward, delicious combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne, mostaccioli or rigatoni
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Cut the trimmed artichokes lengthwise into thin wedges and add to the pan along with 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the artichokes are tender, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high, add wine and oregano; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer about 1/3 of the artichoke mixture to a blender or food processor, add the remaining 1/4 cup water and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the pan containing the remaining artichoke mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and add to the artichoke sauce. Toss well and serve.
Per serving: 286 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 11 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 449 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Folate (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Fiber (49% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994