Penne with Artichoke Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Fresh artichokes, some white wine, a touch of garlic and pasta make a straightforward, delicious combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne, mostaccioli or rigatoni
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Cut the trimmed artichokes lengthwise into thin wedges and add to the pan along with 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the artichokes are tender, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high, add wine and oregano; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer about 1/3 of the artichoke mixture to a blender or food processor, add the remaining 1/4 cup water and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the pan containing the remaining artichoke mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and add to the artichoke sauce. Toss well and serve.
Per serving: 286 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 11 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 449 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Folate (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Fiber (49% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- March/April 1994