Penne with Artichoke Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Fresh artichokes, some white wine, a touch of garlic and pasta make a straightforward, delicious combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne, mostaccioli or rigatoni
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Cut the trimmed artichokes lengthwise into thin wedges and add to the pan along with 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the artichokes are tender, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high, add wine and oregano; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer about 1/3 of the artichoke mixture to a blender or food processor, add the remaining 1/4 cup water and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the pan containing the remaining artichoke mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and add to the artichoke sauce. Toss well and serve.
Per serving: 286 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 11 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 449 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Folate (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Fiber (49% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994