Penne with Artichoke Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Fresh artichokes, some white wine, a touch of garlic and pasta make a straightforward, delicious combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne, mostaccioli or rigatoni
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Cut the trimmed artichokes lengthwise into thin wedges and add to the pan along with 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the artichokes are tender, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high, add wine and oregano; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer about 1/3 of the artichoke mixture to a blender or food processor, add the remaining 1/4 cup water and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the pan containing the remaining artichoke mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and add to the artichoke sauce. Toss well and serve.
Per serving: 286 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 11 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 449 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Folate (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Fiber (49% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1994