Penne with Artichoke Hearts (Penne al carciofi)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Artichokes, ricotta cheese and lemon juice and zest form the sauce for this quick pasta dish.
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts
- 10 ounces whole-wheat penne, or rigatoni
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Blanch artichokes in lightly salted water for 1 minute; drain well. When cool enough to handle, slice about two-thirds of the artichokes into small wedges and set aside; finely chop the remaining artichokes into a paste and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add oregano, salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Stir in water and cook until the water has evaporated and the onions are limp, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, stir in wine, lemon juice and the reserved artichoke wedges and chopped artichokes. Simmer, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. (If the mixture becomes dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.) Add ricotta and stir until creamy.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan with the simmering sauce; toss well. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 342 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 11 g fiber; 174 mg sodium; 270 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994