Penne with Artichoke Hearts (Penne al carciofi)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Artichokes, ricotta cheese and lemon juice and zest form the sauce for this quick pasta dish.
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts
- 10 ounces whole-wheat penne, or rigatoni
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Blanch artichokes in lightly salted water for 1 minute; drain well. When cool enough to handle, slice about two-thirds of the artichokes into small wedges and set aside; finely chop the remaining artichokes into a paste and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add oregano, salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Stir in water and cook until the water has evaporated and the onions are limp, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, stir in wine, lemon juice and the reserved artichoke wedges and chopped artichokes. Simmer, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. (If the mixture becomes dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.) Add ricotta and stir until creamy.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan with the simmering sauce; toss well. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 342 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 11 g fiber; 174 mg sodium; 270 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994