Penne with Artichoke Hearts (Penne al carciofi)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Artichokes, ricotta cheese and lemon juice and zest form the sauce for this quick pasta dish.
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts
- 10 ounces whole-wheat penne, or rigatoni
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Blanch artichokes in lightly salted water for 1 minute; drain well. When cool enough to handle, slice about two-thirds of the artichokes into small wedges and set aside; finely chop the remaining artichokes into a paste and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add oregano, salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Stir in water and cook until the water has evaporated and the onions are limp, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, stir in wine, lemon juice and the reserved artichoke wedges and chopped artichokes. Simmer, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. (If the mixture becomes dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.) Add ricotta and stir until creamy.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan with the simmering sauce; toss well. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 342 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 11 g fiber; 174 mg sodium; 270 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994