Penne with Artichoke Hearts (Penne al carciofi)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Artichokes, ricotta cheese and lemon juice and zest form the sauce for this quick pasta dish.
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts
- 10 ounces whole-wheat penne, or rigatoni
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Blanch artichokes in lightly salted water for 1 minute; drain well. When cool enough to handle, slice about two-thirds of the artichokes into small wedges and set aside; finely chop the remaining artichokes into a paste and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add oregano, salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Stir in water and cook until the water has evaporated and the onions are limp, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, stir in wine, lemon juice and the reserved artichoke wedges and chopped artichokes. Simmer, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. (If the mixture becomes dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.) Add ricotta and stir until creamy.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan with the simmering sauce; toss well. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 342 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 11 g fiber; 174 mg sodium; 270 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994