Penne in Spicy Tomato Sauce (Penne all'arrabbiata)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
The heat level of this spicy tomato sauce can be adjusted to your taste. This quick pasta dish comes together in 30 minutes.
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushing them roughly with the back of a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and return to the pot. Stir in the sauce and place the pot over high heat. Stir until the mixture sizzles. Remove from heat. Add cheese and parsley; toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings; serve immediately.
Per serving: 315 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994