Penne in Spicy Tomato Sauce (Penne all'arrabbiata)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
The heat level of this spicy tomato sauce can be adjusted to your taste. This quick pasta dish comes together in 30 minutes.
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushing them roughly with the back of a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and return to the pot. Stir in the sauce and place the pot over high heat. Stir until the mixture sizzles. Remove from heat. Add cheese and parsley; toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings; serve immediately.
Per serving: 315 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994