Penne in Spicy Tomato Sauce (Penne all'arrabbiata)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
The heat level of this spicy tomato sauce can be adjusted to your taste. This quick pasta dish comes together in 30 minutes.
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushing them roughly with the back of a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and return to the pot. Stir in the sauce and place the pot over high heat. Stir until the mixture sizzles. Remove from heat. Add cheese and parsley; toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings; serve immediately.
Per serving: 315 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994