Penne All'Arrabbiata (“In a Rage”)
From EatingWell: October 1997
This classic Roman pasta dish gets a jolt from crushed red pepper and garlic-infused oil.
- 6 ounces penne, or ziti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook penne (or ziti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until garlic is browned, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard garlic. Add tomatoes, mashing them into the flavored oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce. Toss over high heat until hot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add cheese and parsley and divide between 2 warmed plates. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 455 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 319 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1997