Penne All'Arrabbiata (“In a Rage”)
From EatingWell: October 1997
This classic Roman pasta dish gets a jolt from crushed red pepper and garlic-infused oil.
- 6 ounces penne, or ziti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook penne (or ziti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until garlic is browned, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard garlic. Add tomatoes, mashing them into the flavored oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce. Toss over high heat until hot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add cheese and parsley and divide between 2 warmed plates. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 455 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 319 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1997