Penne All'Arrabbiata (“In a Rage”)
From EatingWell: October 1997
This classic Roman pasta dish gets a jolt from crushed red pepper and garlic-infused oil.
- 6 ounces penne, or ziti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook penne (or ziti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until garlic is browned, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard garlic. Add tomatoes, mashing them into the flavored oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce. Toss over high heat until hot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add cheese and parsley and divide between 2 warmed plates. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 455 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 319 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1997