Penne All'Arrabbiata (“In a Rage”)
From EatingWell: October 1997
This classic Roman pasta dish gets a jolt from crushed red pepper and garlic-infused oil.
- 6 ounces penne, or ziti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook penne (or ziti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until garlic is browned, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard garlic. Add tomatoes, mashing them into the flavored oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce. Toss over high heat until hot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add cheese and parsley and divide between 2 warmed plates. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 455 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 319 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)