Penne All'Arrabbiata (“In a Rage”)
From EatingWell: October 1997
This classic Roman pasta dish gets a jolt from crushed red pepper and garlic-infused oil.
- 6 ounces penne, or ziti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook penne (or ziti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until garlic is browned, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard garlic. Add tomatoes, mashing them into the flavored oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce. Toss over high heat until hot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add cheese and parsley and divide between 2 warmed plates. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 455 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 319 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1997