From EatingWell: November/December 1994
French for “tiles,” these delicate tuiles are so-named because their curved shape resembles the clay roof tiles of houses in southern France.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, (1 ounce)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets or coat them with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add pecans and stir until the butter is lightly browned and the pecans are toasted, about 1 minute. Transfer to a medium bowl. Whisk in sugar. Add egg whites, flour and vanilla; whisk just until smooth.
- Drop the batter by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Smooth the batter with the back of a spoon or a small metal spatula into thin circles 3 inches in diameter. Bake, one sheet at a time, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Immediately loosen the cookies with a metal spatula.
- While still hot, remove the cookies from the baking sheet one by one and curl each over a rolling pin. If the cookies become too firm to shape, return them to the oven until pliable, about 30 seconds. Once the cookies have set, carefully transfer them to a rack to finish cooling.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. If they lose their crispness, place them in a 350°F oven for about 1 minute, then reshape.
Per tuile: 42 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 12 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate (per 2 servings)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- November/December 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)