From EatingWell: October 1998
Crunchy textures and full-flavored ingredients like bacon and blue cheese turn a simple salad into a satisfying supper.
- 2 all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup brewed black tea
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head frisée, or other chicory, torn (4 cups)
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut on the diagonal into wide strips (4 cups)
- 1 large red or yellow tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup low-fat croutons, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort, or other blue cheese
- Boil potatoes in salted water in a medium saucepan until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a small skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble over potatoes.
- Whisk tea, lemon juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over potatoes and bacon and toss to coat. Add frisée (or chicory), endive, tomato, croutons, parsley and cheese; toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make your own croutons: Cut day-old bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Coat a baking sheet with olive-oil spray; spread bread cubes in a single layer and coat them lightly with the spray. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350°F, stirring once or twice, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool; store in a plastic bag for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 223 mg sodium; 393 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October 1998