From EatingWell: October 1998
Crunchy textures and full-flavored ingredients like bacon and blue cheese turn a simple salad into a satisfying supper.
- 2 all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup brewed black tea
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head frisée, or other chicory, torn (4 cups)
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut on the diagonal into wide strips (4 cups)
- 1 large red or yellow tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup low-fat croutons, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort, or other blue cheese
- Boil potatoes in salted water in a medium saucepan until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a small skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble over potatoes.
- Whisk tea, lemon juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over potatoes and bacon and toss to coat. Add frisée (or chicory), endive, tomato, croutons, parsley and cheese; toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make your own croutons: Cut day-old bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Coat a baking sheet with olive-oil spray; spread bread cubes in a single layer and coat them lightly with the spray. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350°F, stirring once or twice, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool; store in a plastic bag for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 223 mg sodium; 393 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1998