From EatingWell: October 1998
Crunchy textures and full-flavored ingredients like bacon and blue cheese turn a simple salad into a satisfying supper.
- 2 all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup brewed black tea
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head frisée, or other chicory, torn (4 cups)
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut on the diagonal into wide strips (4 cups)
- 1 large red or yellow tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup low-fat croutons, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort, or other blue cheese
- Boil potatoes in salted water in a medium saucepan until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a small skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble over potatoes.
- Whisk tea, lemon juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over potatoes and bacon and toss to coat. Add frisée (or chicory), endive, tomato, croutons, parsley and cheese; toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make your own croutons: Cut day-old bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Coat a baking sheet with olive-oil spray; spread bread cubes in a single layer and coat them lightly with the spray. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350°F, stirring once or twice, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool; store in a plastic bag for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 223 mg sodium; 393 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1998