From EatingWell: October 1998
Crunchy textures and full-flavored ingredients like bacon and blue cheese turn a simple salad into a satisfying supper.
- 2 all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup brewed black tea
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head frisée, or other chicory, torn (4 cups)
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut on the diagonal into wide strips (4 cups)
- 1 large red or yellow tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup low-fat croutons, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort, or other blue cheese
- Boil potatoes in salted water in a medium saucepan until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a small skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble over potatoes.
- Whisk tea, lemon juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over potatoes and bacon and toss to coat. Add frisée (or chicory), endive, tomato, croutons, parsley and cheese; toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make your own croutons: Cut day-old bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Coat a baking sheet with olive-oil spray; spread bread cubes in a single layer and coat them lightly with the spray. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350°F, stirring once or twice, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool; store in a plastic bag for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 223 mg sodium; 393 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1998