From EatingWell: October 1998
Crunchy textures and full-flavored ingredients like bacon and blue cheese turn a simple salad into a satisfying supper.
- 2 all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup brewed black tea
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head frisée, or other chicory, torn (4 cups)
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut on the diagonal into wide strips (4 cups)
- 1 large red or yellow tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup low-fat croutons, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort, or other blue cheese
- Boil potatoes in salted water in a medium saucepan until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a small skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble over potatoes.
- Whisk tea, lemon juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over potatoes and bacon and toss to coat. Add frisée (or chicory), endive, tomato, croutons, parsley and cheese; toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make your own croutons: Cut day-old bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Coat a baking sheet with olive-oil spray; spread bread cubes in a single layer and coat them lightly with the spray. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350°F, stirring once or twice, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool; store in a plastic bag for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 223 mg sodium; 393 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1998