Pears with Dried Cherries & Port Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Port, cherries, pears and star anise are a delicious combination. Serve with Greek yogurt for a quick and healthy dessert or breakfast.
- 3/4 cup port wine
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 ripe but firm pears, such as Bosc, Comice or Anjou
- 4 star anise pods, (optional)
- Combine port and cherries in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and lemon juice and let cool. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil for papillotes (see Tip).
- Peel, halve and core pears. Cut pear halves lengthwise into 10 to 12 thin slices, stopping just short of the stem end so that the slices are still attached at the top. Fan the pear halves by pressing on them gently. Open the papillotes and carefully transfer 2 pear halves to each opened paper heart, placing their stem ends toward the center of one half of the heart. Spoon the cherry-port mixture over the pears, distributing it equally. Garnish each package with a star anise pod, if using. Seal the packages and place them on a baking sheet. Bake until the packages are puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the packages to individual plates; let each diner open his or her own package.
Tips & Notes
- To prepare a papillote: Cut a piece of parchment paper or foil about 12 inches by 16 inches. Fold in half an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut into a half-heart shape as you would a Valentine.
Per serving: 218 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 263 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- March/April 1993