Pears with Dried Cherries & Port Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Port, cherries, pears and star anise are a delicious combination. Serve with Greek yogurt for a quick and healthy dessert or breakfast.
- 3/4 cup port wine
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 ripe but firm pears, such as Bosc, Comice or Anjou
- 4 star anise pods, (optional)
- Combine port and cherries in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and lemon juice and let cool. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil for papillotes (see Tip).
- Peel, halve and core pears. Cut pear halves lengthwise into 10 to 12 thin slices, stopping just short of the stem end so that the slices are still attached at the top. Fan the pear halves by pressing on them gently. Open the papillotes and carefully transfer 2 pear halves to each opened paper heart, placing their stem ends toward the center of one half of the heart. Spoon the cherry-port mixture over the pears, distributing it equally. Garnish each package with a star anise pod, if using. Seal the packages and place them on a baking sheet. Bake until the packages are puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the packages to individual plates; let each diner open his or her own package.
Tips & Notes
- To prepare a papillote: Cut a piece of parchment paper or foil about 12 inches by 16 inches. Fold in half an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut into a half-heart shape as you would a Valentine.
Per serving: 218 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 263 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1993