Pears with Bay Leaves & Cherries
Tender pears and dried cherries are infused with bay leaves in this delicious compote.
- 4 pears, such as Bosc or Anjou
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/3 cup dried sour cherries, or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 small whole bay leaves
- Peel pears and cut in half lengthwise. Remove cores with a melon baller or spoon and cut each half lengthwise into thirds.
- Place the pear segments in a large saucepan and add wine, sour cherries (or cranberries), sugar and bay leaves. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently over low heat until the pears are tender when pierced with a knife, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the fruit to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon, discarding bay leaves. Bring the remaining poaching liquid to a boil over high heat and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 12 minutes. Spoon over the fruit.
Per serving: 284 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 7 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less