Pears Baked in Marsala with Crumbled Amaretti
Baked pears are a luscious dessert, particularly when they're baked with Marsala and Italian amaretti cookies.
- 8 small ripe but firm pears, such as Bosc or Anjou (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup Marsala, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed amaretti cookies, (3 ounces; see Note)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel pears, leaving stems intact. Remove a small slice from the bottom so they will stand upright. Brush the pears with lemon juice and set them in a 9-by-13-inch shallow baking dish. Pour the Marsala over and around the pears. Scatter butter over the pears. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small dish, then sprinkle the mixture over the pears. Sprinkle the pears with amaretti crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, until the pears are tender and juices are slightly thickened, 50 to 60 minutes, basting with the pan juices 3 or 4 times. Serve the pears warm or at room temperature with the pan juices spooned over.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep at room temperate for up to 2 hours.
- Note: Marsala, a fortified wine from Sicily, is a flavorful addition to many sauces. An opened bottle can be stored in a cool, dry place for months. Don't use the “cooking marsala” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase marsala that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- The crunchy Italian cookies, Amaretti di Saronno, are individually wrapped and boxed in bright red tins. Crush the cookies between sheets of wax paper using a rolling pin; the food processor will make crumbs that are too fine.
Per serving: 191 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 5 g fiber; 32 mg sodium; 208 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique