Pears Baked in Marsala with Crumbled Amaretti
Baked pears are a luscious dessert, particularly when they're baked with Marsala and Italian amaretti cookies.
- 8 small ripe but firm pears, such as Bosc or Anjou (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup Marsala, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed amaretti cookies, (3 ounces; see Note)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel pears, leaving stems intact. Remove a small slice from the bottom so they will stand upright. Brush the pears with lemon juice and set them in a 9-by-13-inch shallow baking dish. Pour the Marsala over and around the pears. Scatter butter over the pears. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small dish, then sprinkle the mixture over the pears. Sprinkle the pears with amaretti crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, until the pears are tender and juices are slightly thickened, 50 to 60 minutes, basting with the pan juices 3 or 4 times. Serve the pears warm or at room temperature with the pan juices spooned over.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep at room temperate for up to 2 hours.
- Note: Marsala, a fortified wine from Sicily, is a flavorful addition to many sauces. An opened bottle can be stored in a cool, dry place for months. Don't use the “cooking marsala” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase marsala that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- The crunchy Italian cookies, Amaretti di Saronno, are individually wrapped and boxed in bright red tins. Crush the cookies between sheets of wax paper using a rolling pin; the food processor will make crumbs that are too fine.
Per serving: 191 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 5 g fiber; 32 mg sodium; 208 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique