Pears Baked in Marsala with Crumbled Amaretti
Baked pears are a luscious dessert, particularly when they're baked with Marsala and Italian amaretti cookies.
- 8 small ripe but firm pears, such as Bosc or Anjou (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup Marsala, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed amaretti cookies, (3 ounces; see Note)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel pears, leaving stems intact. Remove a small slice from the bottom so they will stand upright. Brush the pears with lemon juice and set them in a 9-by-13-inch shallow baking dish. Pour the Marsala over and around the pears. Scatter butter over the pears. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small dish, then sprinkle the mixture over the pears. Sprinkle the pears with amaretti crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, until the pears are tender and juices are slightly thickened, 50 to 60 minutes, basting with the pan juices 3 or 4 times. Serve the pears warm or at room temperature with the pan juices spooned over.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep at room temperate for up to 2 hours.
- Note: Marsala, a fortified wine from Sicily, is a flavorful addition to many sauces. An opened bottle can be stored in a cool, dry place for months. Don't use the “cooking marsala” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase marsala that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- The crunchy Italian cookies, Amaretti di Saronno, are individually wrapped and boxed in bright red tins. Crush the cookies between sheets of wax paper using a rolling pin; the food processor will make crumbs that are too fine.
Per serving: 191 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 5 g fiber; 32 mg sodium; 208 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique