Pears Baked in Marsala with Crumbled Amaretti
Baked pears are a luscious dessert, particularly when they're baked with Marsala and Italian amaretti cookies.
- 8 small ripe but firm pears, such as Bosc or Anjou (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup Marsala, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed amaretti cookies, (3 ounces; see Note)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel pears, leaving stems intact. Remove a small slice from the bottom so they will stand upright. Brush the pears with lemon juice and set them in a 9-by-13-inch shallow baking dish. Pour the Marsala over and around the pears. Scatter butter over the pears. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small dish, then sprinkle the mixture over the pears. Sprinkle the pears with amaretti crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, until the pears are tender and juices are slightly thickened, 50 to 60 minutes, basting with the pan juices 3 or 4 times. Serve the pears warm or at room temperature with the pan juices spooned over.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep at room temperate for up to 2 hours.
- Note: Marsala, a fortified wine from Sicily, is a flavorful addition to many sauces. An opened bottle can be stored in a cool, dry place for months. Don't use the “cooking marsala” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase marsala that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- The crunchy Italian cookies, Amaretti di Saronno, are individually wrapped and boxed in bright red tins. Crush the cookies between sheets of wax paper using a rolling pin; the food processor will make crumbs that are too fine.
Per serving: 191 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 5 g fiber; 32 mg sodium; 208 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique