Pear, Walnut & Gorgonzola Pizzas
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Pita rounds make quick pizza crusts. But topped with the classic combination of pears, walnuts and blue cheese, they're taken to elegant heights. These pizzas are great with a green salad for a quick supper; wedges can also be served up as cocktail-hour fare.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 medium ripe pear, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 6 1/2-inch or eight 4-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and golden, about 7 minutes. Stir in pear and cook, stirring often, until slightly soft and heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vinegar and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until the liquid has evaporated and the onion is tender and coated with a dark glaze, about 2 minutes more.
- Divide the onion-pear mixture among the pitas; sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Transfer the pitas to a large baking sheet and bake until crispy and the cheese is melted, 10 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: 361 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 8 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 322 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (43% daily value), Fiber (33% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less