Pear, Walnut & Gorgonzola Pizzas
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Pita rounds make quick pizza crusts. But topped with the classic combination of pears, walnuts and blue cheese, they're taken to elegant heights. These pizzas are great with a green salad for a quick supper; wedges can also be served up as cocktail-hour fare.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 medium ripe pear, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 6 1/2-inch or eight 4-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and golden, about 7 minutes. Stir in pear and cook, stirring often, until slightly soft and heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vinegar and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until the liquid has evaporated and the onion is tender and coated with a dark glaze, about 2 minutes more.
- Divide the onion-pear mixture among the pitas; sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Transfer the pitas to a large baking sheet and bake until crispy and the cheese is melted, 10 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: 361 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 8 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 322 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (43% daily value), Fiber (33% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)