I was skeptical of this recipe, but have a lot of red onions to use up. It was very tasty and a big hit - served 6. I served it with a roast pork and asparagus. It cooked down, and didn't "fill the pan" as much as I hoped, so next time I might double if feeding a bigger crowd. A tasty addition would be just a touch of a blue or Gorgonzola cheese.
Pear & Red Onion Gratin
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Bosc pears are strong-flavored and hold their shape when cooked, making them well suited for this savory side dish. It's a terrific accompaniment for a glazed ham or grilled sausage or most any roasted meat or poultry.
8 Reviews for Pear & Red Onion Gratin
Sounds great, but I don't want gluten: any suggestions? I have tried gf bread crumbs in other recipes, usually does not work well.
I followed the recipe exactly in making this dish and it was really wonderful. Light, flavorful, and something different. It paired very well with pork chops and was a nice change from typical vegetable dishes. I threw together a green salad to go with it and we all left the table satisfied.
I made this dish and it was very good, I pigged out on it. The cheese in the beadcrumbs really is good, mine turned out a little "spicey" because I used lots of black pepper and probably more fresh thyme than 1 Tbsp. I found it a little touchy to turn over while baking, as well as tossing with only 1 Tbsp of oil initially. I added a little more oil initially and turned it over after 30 mins. of baking only once before I added the breadcrumbs.
This was a fabulous dish. I served with along side a vegan lentil and walnut loaf, some steamed carrots, and sauteed squash, peppers, and onions. Eventhough it was a side dish, it stole the show.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)