From EatingWell: Summer 2002
Pure hazelnut oil adds a deep, dark nuttiness to this sweet and tangy dressing that marries beautifully with mixed bitter greens or Bibb lettuce salads topped with fresh and dried fruit, such as pears and figs, and chopped toasted hazelnuts.
- 1 8-ounce can pears in light syrup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil, or walnut oil (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Drain pears, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup. Combine the pears and reserved syrup with vinegar, oil, wine, salt and pepper in a blender; blend until smooth. Stir in chives.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: If you do not have any nut oil on hand, use extra-virgin olive oil.
- Nut oils: Oils pressed from hazelnuts and walnuts add a special fragrance to salad dressings. And from a nutritional point of view, they are a good choice because they contain a high ratio of monounsaturated fats. Nut oils are available in specialty stores—be prepared, they can be expensive. Nut oils are prone to rancidity, so store them in the refrigerator.
Per tablespoon: 26 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 20 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Summer 2002