From EatingWell: Summer 2002
Pure hazelnut oil adds a deep, dark nuttiness to this sweet and tangy dressing that marries beautifully with mixed bitter greens or Bibb lettuce salads topped with fresh and dried fruit, such as pears and figs, and chopped toasted hazelnuts.
- 1 8-ounce can pears in light syrup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil, or walnut oil (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Drain pears, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup. Combine the pears and reserved syrup with vinegar, oil, wine, salt and pepper in a blender; blend until smooth. Stir in chives.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: If you do not have any nut oil on hand, use extra-virgin olive oil.
- Nut oils: Oils pressed from hazelnuts and walnuts add a special fragrance to salad dressings. And from a nutritional point of view, they are a good choice because they contain a high ratio of monounsaturated fats. Nut oils are available in specialty stores—be prepared, they can be expensive. Nut oils are prone to rancidity, so store them in the refrigerator.
Per tablespoon: 26 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 20 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Summer 2002