From EatingWell: Summer 2002
Pure hazelnut oil adds a deep, dark nuttiness to this sweet and tangy dressing that marries beautifully with mixed bitter greens or Bibb lettuce salads topped with fresh and dried fruit, such as pears and figs, and chopped toasted hazelnuts.
- 1 8-ounce can pears in light syrup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil, or walnut oil (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Drain pears, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup. Combine the pears and reserved syrup with vinegar, oil, wine, salt and pepper in a blender; blend until smooth. Stir in chives.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: If you do not have any nut oil on hand, use extra-virgin olive oil.
- Nut oils: Oils pressed from hazelnuts and walnuts add a special fragrance to salad dressings. And from a nutritional point of view, they are a good choice because they contain a high ratio of monounsaturated fats. Nut oils are available in specialty stores—be prepared, they can be expensive. Nut oils are prone to rancidity, so store them in the refrigerator.
Per tablespoon: 26 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 20 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Summer 2002