From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Fresh ginger and fragrant cinnamon infuse this chilled pear soup. Serve it in large shot glasses. Guests may add a splash of vodka if they like.
- 4 ripe Anjou pears, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger, or ginger juice (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Stir pears, cider, wine, ginger (or ginger juice) to taste, lemon juice, cinnamon stick and salt in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and gently simmer until the pears are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Discard the cinnamon stick. Pour the soup into a large blender or food processor; add honey. Blend or process until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Pour into a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours. Pour into small glasses to serve.
Tips & Notes
- Note: We use bottled ginger juice (pressed gingerroot) to add the taste of fresh ginger without the work of mincing or grating. Use it to flavor drinks, stir-fries, marinades or anywhere you'd use fresh ginger. Find it in specialty stores or online at gingerpeople.com.
Per serving: 67 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007