From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Fresh ginger and fragrant cinnamon infuse this chilled pear soup. Serve it in large shot glasses. Guests may add a splash of vodka if they like.
- 4 ripe Anjou pears, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger, or ginger juice (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Stir pears, cider, wine, ginger (or ginger juice) to taste, lemon juice, cinnamon stick and salt in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and gently simmer until the pears are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Discard the cinnamon stick. Pour the soup into a large blender or food processor; add honey. Blend or process until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Pour into a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours. Pour into small glasses to serve.
Tips & Notes
- Note: We use bottled ginger juice (pressed gingerroot) to add the taste of fresh ginger without the work of mincing or grating. Use it to flavor drinks, stir-fries, marinades or anywhere you'd use fresh ginger. Find it in specialty stores or online at gingerpeople.com.
Per serving: 67 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007