Pear & Dried Apricot Salsa with Lemon & Rosemary
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Make this salsa the next time you have extra pears on hand—it turns ordinary pork chops or chicken breasts into a sweet-and-savory delight. (Try it on pound cake too.)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 firm, ripe Bosc pears, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 strips lemon zest, (1/2-by-2-inch), cut into thin slivers (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Combine wine, apricots and bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and cook over low heat until the apricots are plumped but not too soft, about 10 minutes, depending on their dryness. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the apricots to a cutting board, leaving the wine in the pan. When cool enough to handle, cut into quarters and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Toss pears with lemon zest and juice in another bowl. Add the pears and zest to the wine in the pan. (If using dried rosemary, add it now.) Return to a simmer and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, until the juices are reduced and the pears are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the pear mixture to the apricots; stir in fresh rosemary, if using. Remove the bay leaf; serve the salsa warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. To reheat, microwave on High for about 2 minutes or warm in a saucepan over low heat.
- Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to easily remove strips of the outer skin (zest), leaving the bitter white pith behind.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 121 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 323 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Fiber (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005