Pear & Dried Apricot Salsa with Lemon & Rosemary
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Make this salsa the next time you have extra pears on hand—it turns ordinary pork chops or chicken breasts into a sweet-and-savory delight. (Try it on pound cake too.)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 firm, ripe Bosc pears, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 strips lemon zest, (1/2-by-2-inch), cut into thin slivers (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Combine wine, apricots and bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and cook over low heat until the apricots are plumped but not too soft, about 10 minutes, depending on their dryness. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the apricots to a cutting board, leaving the wine in the pan. When cool enough to handle, cut into quarters and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Toss pears with lemon zest and juice in another bowl. Add the pears and zest to the wine in the pan. (If using dried rosemary, add it now.) Return to a simmer and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, until the juices are reduced and the pears are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the pear mixture to the apricots; stir in fresh rosemary, if using. Remove the bay leaf; serve the salsa warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. To reheat, microwave on High for about 2 minutes or warm in a saucepan over low heat.
- Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to easily remove strips of the outer skin (zest), leaving the bitter white pith behind.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 121 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 323 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Fiber (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005