This easy, comforting pear crumble is sure to please. Serve it as is or with low-fat ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 1/2 pounds ripe but firm Anjou pears, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare topping: Combine oats, walnuts, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Drizzle with oil and stir until evenly moist.
- To prepare filling: Combine pears, maple syrup, raisins, flour, lemon juice and ginger in a large bowl and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the pears.
- Bake the crumble until the pears are tender and the topping is golden, 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the topping (Step 2) and filling (Step 3), cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before assembling and baking.
Per serving: 257 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 other carbohydrates, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique