This easy, comforting pear crumble is sure to please. Serve it as is or with low-fat ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 1/2 pounds ripe but firm Anjou pears, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare topping: Combine oats, walnuts, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Drizzle with oil and stir until evenly moist.
- To prepare filling: Combine pears, maple syrup, raisins, flour, lemon juice and ginger in a large bowl and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the pears.
- Bake the crumble until the pears are tender and the topping is golden, 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the topping (Step 2) and filling (Step 3), cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before assembling and baking.
Per serving: 257 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 other carbohydrates, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique