Pear Cranberry Sauce
From EatingWell: December 2006
This dazzling pink pear & cranberry sauce has a perfect balance of tart and sweet tastes. It stands in for the applesauce that traditionally accompanies latkes.
- 3 large ripe Bartlett pears, peeled
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- Grate pears into a large saucepan, using the large holes of a box grater; take the flesh all the way down to the core but do not get any seeds in the pan.
- Stir in water, cranberries, sugar, ginger, salt and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until the pears break down and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 80 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 4 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006