Pear Cranberry Sauce
From EatingWell: December 2006
This dazzling pink pear & cranberry sauce has a perfect balance of tart and sweet tastes. It stands in for the applesauce that traditionally accompanies latkes.
- 3 large ripe Bartlett pears, peeled
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- Grate pears into a large saucepan, using the large holes of a box grater; take the flesh all the way down to the core but do not get any seeds in the pan.
- Stir in water, cranberries, sugar, ginger, salt and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until the pears break down and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 80 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 4 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006