The French-toast-like topping makes this sweet and tart “cobbler” appropriate for breakfast, brunch or dessert. The method can be used for various other fruits, such as peaches and raspberries or apples and cherries.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 ripe pears, cored, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir together maple syrup and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add pears and cranberries and toss to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake until the fruit is just tender and the juices have begun to thicken, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla in a large shallow dish. Cut each bread slice in half diagonally. Immerse the bread in the egg-milk mixture, carefully turning the slices for even soaking.
- Remove the pan from the oven and stir the fruit. Arrange the bread in rows on top of the fruit. Combine sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle evenly over the bread. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the bread is golden, 20 to 30 minutes more. Serve warm.
Per serving: 250 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 320 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique