The French-toast-like topping makes this sweet and tart “cobbler” appropriate for breakfast, brunch or dessert. The method can be used for various other fruits, such as peaches and raspberries or apples and cherries.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 ripe pears, cored, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir together maple syrup and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add pears and cranberries and toss to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake until the fruit is just tender and the juices have begun to thicken, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla in a large shallow dish. Cut each bread slice in half diagonally. Immerse the bread in the egg-milk mixture, carefully turning the slices for even soaking.
- Remove the pan from the oven and stir the fruit. Arrange the bread in rows on top of the fruit. Combine sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle evenly over the bread. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the bread is golden, 20 to 30 minutes more. Serve warm.
Per serving: 250 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 320 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique