The French-toast-like topping makes this sweet and tart “cobbler” appropriate for breakfast, brunch or dessert. The method can be used for various other fruits, such as peaches and raspberries or apples and cherries.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 ripe pears, cored, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir together maple syrup and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add pears and cranberries and toss to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake until the fruit is just tender and the juices have begun to thicken, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla in a large shallow dish. Cut each bread slice in half diagonally. Immerse the bread in the egg-milk mixture, carefully turning the slices for even soaking.
- Remove the pan from the oven and stir the fruit. Arrange the bread in rows on top of the fruit. Combine sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle evenly over the bread. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the bread is golden, 20 to 30 minutes more. Serve warm.
Per serving: 250 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 320 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique