Pear & Celery Root Slaw
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Pears, celery root, carrots and onion combine in this flavorful fall slaw recipe. Use underripe pears to keep the texture crisp. Cutting the pears and celery root by hand into little matchsticks makes a prettier salad, but go ahead and shred them with a box grater if you’re in a hurry.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slightly underripe pears, cut into matchsticks (about 4 cups)
- 1 small celery root, peeled (see Tips), cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup julienne-cut carrots (see Tips) or 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add pears, celery root, carrots and onion and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
- Look for peeled and precut carrots, called “julienne-cut,” with other prepared vegetables in the produce department.
Per serving: 83 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (69% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011