Pear & Celery Root Slaw
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Pears, celery root, carrots and onion combine in this flavorful fall slaw recipe. Use underripe pears to keep the texture crisp. Cutting the pears and celery root by hand into little matchsticks makes a prettier salad, but go ahead and shred them with a box grater if you’re in a hurry.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slightly underripe pears, cut into matchsticks (about 4 cups)
- 1 small celery root, peeled (see Tips), cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup julienne-cut carrots (see Tips) or 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add pears, celery root, carrots and onion and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
- Look for peeled and precut carrots, called “julienne-cut,” with other prepared vegetables in the produce department.
Per serving: 83 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (69% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011