Pear & Celery Root Slaw
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Pears, celery root, carrots and onion combine in this flavorful fall slaw recipe. Use underripe pears to keep the texture crisp. Cutting the pears and celery root by hand into little matchsticks makes a prettier salad, but go ahead and shred them with a box grater if you’re in a hurry.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slightly underripe pears, cut into matchsticks (about 4 cups)
- 1 small celery root, peeled (see Tips), cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup julienne-cut carrots (see Tips) or 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add pears, celery root, carrots and onion and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
- Look for peeled and precut carrots, called “julienne-cut,” with other prepared vegetables in the produce department.
Per serving: 83 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (69% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011