Pear & Celery Root Slaw
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Pears, celery root, carrots and onion combine in this flavorful fall slaw recipe. Use underripe pears to keep the texture crisp. Cutting the pears and celery root by hand into little matchsticks makes a prettier salad, but go ahead and shred them with a box grater if you’re in a hurry.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slightly underripe pears, cut into matchsticks (about 4 cups)
- 1 small celery root, peeled (see Tips), cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup julienne-cut carrots (see Tips) or 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add pears, celery root, carrots and onion and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
- Look for peeled and precut carrots, called “julienne-cut,” with other prepared vegetables in the produce department.
Per serving: 83 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (69% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 2011