Pear & Blue Cheese Flatbread
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
The classic combination of pears, walnuts and blue cheese isn't just for salad. Toss the same ingredients onto purchased whole-wheat pizza dough and make your own gourmet flatbread at home. Any type of ripe, firm pear will work—red pears look great.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 20 ounces prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe but firm pears, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled blue cheese
- Place oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and golden, 5 to 8 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir vinegar, sage and pepper into the onions. Spread on the crust and top with pears, walnuts and cheese. Bake on the bottom rack until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 11 to 13 minutes. Slice and serve.
Per serving: 361 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 5 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 2008