Pear & Blue Cheese Flatbread
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
The classic combination of pears, walnuts and blue cheese isn't just for salad. Toss the same ingredients onto purchased whole-wheat pizza dough and make your own gourmet flatbread at home. Any type of ripe, firm pear will work—red pears look great.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 20 ounces prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe but firm pears, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled blue cheese
- Place oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and golden, 5 to 8 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir vinegar, sage and pepper into the onions. Spread on the crust and top with pears, walnuts and cheese. Bake on the bottom rack until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 11 to 13 minutes. Slice and serve.
Per serving: 361 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 5 g fiber; 410 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 2008