From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Fragrant pears and anise pair well in these moist muffins.
- 1 firm pear, such as Bosc, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons aniseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Toss pear with lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, aniseed and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and grated pear and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 228 mg sodium; 99 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997