From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Fragrant pears and anise pair well in these moist muffins.
- 1 firm pear, such as Bosc, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons aniseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Toss pear with lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, aniseed and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and grated pear and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 228 mg sodium; 99 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997