From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Fragrant pears and anise pair well in these moist muffins.
- 1 firm pear, such as Bosc, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons aniseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Toss pear with lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, aniseed and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and grated pear and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 228 mg sodium; 99 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1997