From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Fragrant pears and anise pair well in these moist muffins.
- 1 firm pear, such as Bosc, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons aniseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Toss pear with lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, aniseed and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and grated pear and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 228 mg sodium; 99 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997