From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Fragrant pears and anise pair well in these moist muffins.
- 1 firm pear, such as Bosc, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons aniseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Toss pear with lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, aniseed and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and grated pear and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 228 mg sodium; 99 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997