Peanut Energy Bars
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
This carbohydrate-rich bar, full of nuts, seeds, fruit and oats, was adapted from Amy Harrison's prize-winning submission in the Plains (Georgia) Peanut Festival recipe competition sponsored by The Peanut Institute. It includes a little protein, and is a great grab-and-go pre-workout snack on mornings when you don't have time to digest a full meal.
- 1/2 cup dry roasted salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds, or other chopped nuts
- 2 cups raisins, or other chopped dried fruit
- 2 cups rolled or instant oats
- 2 cups toasted rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ, (optional)
- 1/2 cup creamy or crunchy natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup, or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coat an 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine peanuts, sunflower seeds (or other nuts), raisins (or other dried fruit), oats, rice cereal and wheat germ (if using) in a large bowl.
- Combine peanut butter, brown sugar and corn syrup (or honey) in a large microwaveable bowl; microwave on High until bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir until blended. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Press down firmly. (It helps to coat your fingers with cooking spray.) Let stand for about 1 hour to harden. Cut into bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and keep at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature.
Per serving: 255 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 95 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 carbohydrate (other), 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008