Peanut Butter Cookies
A healthier version of an old favorite, these peanut butter cookies have much less saturated fat than the original.
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 teaspoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 3 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, peanut butter, oil, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl; add water and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir together all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the brown-sugar mixture just until combined.
- Roll the dough between your palms into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the cookies with a fork, dipping it into flour if it begins to stick to the dough. Sprinkle with peanuts, pressing them lightly into the dough with your fingers.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Per cookie: 91 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 75 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique