A fruit crumble offers the luscious flavor of a fresh fruit pie without the fuss of making a crust. Celebrate the arrival of late-summer peaches with this rich-tasting crumble. The nut-studded topping works great with other fruit combinations too.
- 2 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (5 cups)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, juice
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, (not instant)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped slivered almonds, or walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, or nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish (or similar 1 1/2- to 2-quart dish) with cooking spray.
- To make filling: Combine peaches, raspberries, sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl. Place the filling in the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make topping. Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl with a fork. Add butter and blend with a pastry blender or your fingertips. Add oil and stir to coat. Add orange juice concentrate and blend with your fingertips until dry ingredients are moistened.
- When the filling has baked for 20 minutes, stir it and sprinkle topping evenly over the surface. Sprinkle with almonds (or walnuts). Bake, uncovered, until the filling is bubbly and tender and topping is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream (or frozen yogurt), if desired.
Per serving: 252 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 44 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique